1.06.2010

YES! My Care Bear is NOT dehydrated!

Well I'm already back in school again. A new, fresh quarter...only one week after the last one ended. I was feeling a little bummed about it until class started. My schedule is crazy and I definitely get a little wiped out sometimes, but what I do each night in class totally makes up for it. On Monday nights, I have Parasitology this quarter. Our first class was spent lecturing about and learning how to do different fecal collections, and then what we'll do with them. Who knew there were so many things to do with poop?! LOL! Yes, it's the smelly, un-pretty side of the job, but definitely important...and interesting. :} Last night I had Small Animal Nutrition & Nursing which is already shaping up to be one of my all-time favorite classes. We lectured on and learned how to place intravenous (IV) catheters. I didn't think it would be too difficult, but yeah...I was wrong. When my professor first pulled out stuffed animals rigged up to fake blood and rubber veins, I thought it was boring. After my first attempt at placing a catheter and subsequently mopping up the pool of "blood" all over my table, let's just say I loooooved the stuffed animals. LOL! I learned that doing this takes speed and precision - oh and a little strength since you CAN NOT let go of the animal no matter what. Unlike humans, you can't just tell an animal to sit still...mostly because they don't speak English. My professor demonstrated this (on me first, of course) by coming over and shaking and pulling my animal's leg. I held on, but I made a mess of the vein and had issues getting my adaptor on so yeah...I had a pool of Kool-Aid blood to clean up afterwards. I did improve, though. I am now a speedy IV catheter-placing-and-taping-freak...on my writhing Care Bear. :) Friday morning, I start Production Animals. YUSSSSSS! I am sooo excited for that class. I love dogs and cats (well, some cats), but large animals are where it's at for me. This quarter is shaping up to ROCK!

2 amigos said...:

Daniel, Sara, Dmitri & Paige said...

Woohoo lady! Glad you like your classes! As we all know - that makes all the difference! :) I'm seriously so excited for you that you've found something that you love, and you're rockin' it! Yay!! :D

Adam and Sarah said...

How creepy to be poking and prodding "bleeding" stuffed animals! lol! Glad you're enjoying your classes! Ok... holidays are over. Waddya say?