9.17.2008

Week Nine - TEN PERCENT!!

Well I have finally made my first goal: I've lost ten percent of my body weight! I lost another 4.2 pounds last week, bringing me up a little past 10 percent! WOOHOO! This is something that is really emphasized in Weight Watchers and it seemed like a good first goal. I don’t know why, but I’m still nervous about setting an ultimate goal. I guess I’m afraid of not getting there and being extremely disappointed in myself. When that ultimate goal seems a little closer and more achievable, I’ll put it in writing. Anyway, my first goal – done! Ten percent! YAY! It hasn't been easy, but it wasn't extremely difficult either. I've done it by simply eating better! I've done some walking here and there, but I really need to step up my game in the fitness department.

Looking back on the last couple months, I’m quite impressed with myself! Amazing changes have happened in the last little while:


  • My fridge is stocked with Fresca, Diet Root Beer and Diet Sunkist! This may not seem like a big deal to a lot of people, but I have never (read: NEVER!!) been a non-Coke drinker in my entire life! I can’t get into Diet Coke, but just the fact that I now buy sugar-free sodas at the store is a huge thing for me!

  • I went to Chili’s for a friend’s birthday and instead of having the chicken fingers & french fries that I've had EVERY TIME (yes, I am a creature of habit) since I've been going there, I had a veggie burger with steamed veggies, black beans and corn on the cob! Oh and I liked it! Even my brother noticed the change and commented on it!

  • I've been to the State Fair, Wendover, weddings, bridal & baby showers over the last couple months. All of them were, of course, decked out with fabulous food. At every single event, I ate most of the food that was provided (some things I just had to say ‘no’ to). BUT…I ate smaller portions of what foods I did eat. I enjoyed the eclairs, corn dogs, buffets, cake, and every thing else, but this time I took smaller portions, ate slower and relished in what I had.

As a reward for losing 10 percent, I’m going to go out to eat. Something sinfully delicious! HAHA! I know it sounds crazy! I just lost all this weight – why would I go ruin it?? But here’s the truth: I love food. I love to sit down with family and friends and enjoy an outdoor barbecue, or a cozy restaurant filled with warm smells, or Sunday dinner with my family when we’re “ooohh-ing & aaahh-ing” over my mom’s fabulous dinner. I love to cook from a new recipe that calls for lots of interesting ingredients and fills my apartment with exotic smells. I love food! I always will. The staple of pretty much everyone’s gathering is food! And there’s nothing wrong with that. Some people dedicate their lives to preparing food because they love it so much!

I started this whole thing to change how I am, not who I am. I am not the girl who will never eat greasy burgers. However, I am (or am becoming) the girl that enjoys part of a greasy burger on special occasions. I’m giving myself a “reward day” (I refuse to say cheat), but I’m still going to try and keep it within reason. I emphasize part because that is my goal with this treat – to not clean my plate. I’m going to enjoy some of the foods that I really, really enjoy – just in a healthier way.

A super-big thanks goes out to my family and friends for being so supportive! Who knew that I had such a rock-star cheering section behind me?! I love ya’ll!

Viva La Resistance!

4 amigos said...:

Anonymous said...

I think you are completely amazing - I always have!!!!

I love you so much and am so proud of you.

You are my favorite daughter!!!

Your Mudda

Traci said...

Congrats! I think that is so great and I am VERY impressed.

Daniel, Sara, Dmitri & Paige said...

You rock Lady!! Good job on the awesome accomplishment. I need to get my food mind set like yours. I need to enjoy the food. That's a good idea! :) Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adam and Sarah said...

I'm thinking it, so I'm just going to say it: You sound like my mama! Haha! Like I mentioned to you before, she's been doing the weight watchers diet & LOVES it. She's always telling me she can still have almost everything she wants but in SMALLER portions. so you that's would be why you sound like her! :) Ha! But seriously, Ace. You are amazing! Way to go on losing 10% of your body weight! That is incredible & I'm so happy for you! I seriously need to take a page from your book (or blog in this case! I know, super LAME joke!)! Good job, woman!