10.07.2008

Deer Hunting 2008

Deer hunting in October is always one of the best camping trips - this year was no different! My dad, Zach and I went up early (EARLY) Sunday morning and came home on Wednesday. Zach's friend, Cuyler, that he went to CEU with, met us up there and stayed in the trailer. I took my glorious tent up to use, but Uncle Bob had his wall tent set up and it was empty for the week so I made awesome use of it. Evan was the only person that got a deer. The deer were pretty sparse this year. With the bad winter, we mostly saw all does. We did manage to see some bucks the last night, but never got a shot at them. The food was great!! Who doesn't love camping food?!?! HAHA! I went up with the intentions to eat really well, but after waking up really early and hiking and chopping wood and everything else, I had an apetite like no other! I at least ate better than my old self would have. Honorable mentions of the trip:

  • Camping breakfasts! Homemade garlic sausage, bacon galore, HASHBROWNS (Lord, I love me some potatoes!), chili verde... MMMMM!
  • Chopping wood! We cut a bunch for next year's camp trips and it was pretty dang fun! Being in the mountains, the smell of fresh pine, the warm sun, CHAINSAWS! WOO!
  • Kent McLaughlin and his son's campfire stories and shenanigans. Holy crap! They're so dang funny! Zach, Cuyler and I stayed up way later than planned just so we could listen to them!
  • Zach & Cuyler. Zach. Cuyler. I love those two. I pretty much had two little brothers this trip. Funny kids!
  • Road-hunting with Uncle Jerry! He was all about me getting a little buck, but said he'd have to beat me to the shot for a big one, though. LOL! I told him I'd have my dad hold his gun while I ran around the truck for the deer, while kicking his shins in the process. Hey - I wanted a deer!
  • Hanging out, cooking, and hunting with my dad. As I get older, I realize how much I enjoy his company more and more. He won't let on, but he's one of the funniest and smartest guys that I know. :)
  • Me sitting on top of a mountain, alone, loaded gun, white t-shirt, waiting for deer. LOL! Zach & Cuyler took off to flush out some deer, while my dad popped away to spot them. That left me...alone...to hunt. Yeah. Having never shot a deer and being left alone to figure it out...good times, good times. I couldn't help but look around and laugh at myself at that moment. I guess I was gonna find out if all my hunting teachings would pan out. Too bad the deer thought otherwise. ;)

I can't wait until next year! Here are some pics from the trip...


0 amigos said...: