12.11.2009

The half-way "Top Ten"

I wrote a blog post this morning about my experience last night at the shelter. It was long, heart-breaking and damn good. I may or may not post it later. At the very least, I feel better after writing it. So for now, in lieu of that blog post, I've decided to post a "Top 10". I am about half-way through my classes right now. In about one year, I will most likely be making some major life changes as a result of the decision I made to become a Veterinary Technologist over a year ago. In honor of my half-way point, here is my list of things of the top ten I've learned over the past year:

10.
Sometimes the assigned "pooper-picker-upper" isn't able to get everything cleaned up during clinic shifts. Tennis shoes with intricate soles may keep your feet from getting sore and look cool, but they're a bitch when you have to clean poop out of them.

9.
Advising your personal doctor that "he could really clear up your hand x-rays if he'd just adjust the KVp of the x-ray machine" is probably not the best idea.

8.
Eric is insanely enthusiastic and passionate about his craft. Even though PCV’s and fecal floats may not seem all that fascinating, a lecture from him will leave you wanting to cheer for the damn things.

7.
Trying to get blood from a cat's jugular will make you curse cats. Cats are dumb. Dumb, dumb, DUMB!

6.
Hitting the jugular on a cat may make you spout tears of joy. Cats are so cool! I LOVE LOVE LOVE CATS!

5.
Jill loves birds. Her passion for them may make you wonder how you can incorporate avian medicine into your career...even though you plan to work with horses.

4.
Pit Bulls get an unfair, bad rap. These plucky, gentle giants will lay still while you poke and prod them while learning about venipuncture, only to retaliate with bouncing loads of affection.

3.
Believe it or not, your head will not actually explode from "information overload" during Tina's Pharmacology class. Holding your forehead to keep your brain from falling out will mostly likely only get you odd looks from your classmates.

2.
It is important to keep your mouth closed when giving an intra-nasal Bordatella vaccination to a snotty, coughing dog. Also, wear goggles if given the option. Better yet...is there a hazmat suit available?

1.
A field trip to the shelter will never get any easier. Feeling a starving kitten's spine press into your gloved hand while you're syringe-feeding it de-wormer will break your heart. Congratulations, you have a heart. Consider your decision to become a Veterinary Technologist money and time well spent.

3 amigos said...:

Jonas said...

Ive got plenty of hazmat suits for ya! Keep ya head up, jib loves what your doing.

Daniel, Sara, Dmitri & Paige said...

Fecal floats. One can only imagine...
And pitbulls do get a bad rap! My mommy and daddy love theirs to pieces! And their dogs are big babies.
I can't imagine having to go to the shelter and take care of those poor animals. It breaks my heart to see the ones up for adoption - I couldn't handle having to even get them to the point of adoptability!
It takes an amazing person to do the work you're doing! Rock on Lady!! :D

Anonymous said...

Hello, AC, I'm you Grandma Lou's Sister Kathy. I have been reading you blog for a while, and let me tell you I am so impressed with you. You are a great young lady.
Stay the course.... Aunt Kathy