2.26.2010

Utah Wild Horse & Burro Center

This morning we got to take a field trip to the Wild Horse & Burro Center at the mouth of Butterfield Canyon. We were supposed to lecture on beef cattle nutrition, but apparently while I was in the restroom, my teacher and classmates decided I could make the final decision whether or not we would go on the field trip. Uhhh...duh. :}

I've been around horses my whole life, but never wild ones. We obviously couldn't get too close to the horses, as they wouldn't hesitate to bite, kick, or bowl us over, but we did get to watch them interact. It honestly made me emotional. I have always loved watching a horse just be a horse.

We also got to meet and talk with one of the wild horse wranglers (read: real cowboy). He was great! I was totally enthralled with the whole process of "handling", vaccinating, gelding, hoof trimming, training, etc. He also had some great stories about crazy horses getting loose and causing some serious havoc! ;)

It was a seriously awesome morning! Made coming into my desk job a little hard. :}

1 amigos said...:

Adam and Sarah said...

Wild horses, huh? That is seriously cool! I'm completely jealous that you got to see them in real life! I find them so fascinating. I'm so glad for you to see them!