10.30.2009

Friday Night Cool

It's Friday night and I'm doing homework. Oh and posting on my blog. :}

School is tough this quarter. Still completely rewarding, but insanely stressful at the same time. We were talking the other night in class how before this we were learning important stuff, but not necessarily deadly stuff. I'm taking Veterinary Pharmacology this quarter. It's basically one giant mathematical-story-problem-of-a-class! As in figure out how much medication you need to give this animal based on their weight, then figure out how to do it over a certain time period, oh and make sure to account for any diseases, dehydration issues, temperatures, wars, crying babies, missing socks, etc. AHHHH! Yeah. We have a veterinary math competency test this week that you have to get 100% on, or you don't pass the class. It seems unfair, but when it was put to us that if you only got 98% right on an animal's treatment, you could kill it. Lovely, right? And cue stress!

I suppose things wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't set such a high bar for myself. We get four chances on the test, but I need to pass it the first time. I have volunteered, stayed late, always been the first to try something, requested extra duties, and busted my butt with studying & homework, because I want to be the best. I know I'm not that old, but I'm too old to be mediocre with this. I don't have the advantage of being super young with a lot of time on my hands to gain experience anymore.

So here I sit. Friday night. Doing homework, reading and studying. I'm missing out on a vacation this weekend, my friends' annual Halloween party and just general shenanigans, but I chose this. Lucky for me, I have the following two things going for me: I absolutely love what I'm learning and doing, and I truly believe in what I'm doing.

0 amigos said...: