6.18.2009

Doggies & Ponies

I am in the last week of classes with finals next week then I’m done with this quarter! WOOHOO! This quarter has definitely rocked - lots more hands-on stuff. I had the opportunity to go out to the animal shelter last week and learn how to draw blood! We’re not supposed to learn that until our Hematology class, but I have a really small Clinical Skills class and my teacher rules so we got permission from the program director. I did a cephalic (front leg) and jugular (neck) draw on a dog and was successful at getting blood both times! I did have one minor mishap when the person that was supposed to be restraining a dog got distracted and let go. It managed to go straight for my hand, but didn’t break the skin. It was more of a “HEY! That’s my leg you’re poking!” gnaw - kind of like when I put Lola in a headlock and instead of tapping out and she bites my head. :P Last night we went out to the barn to draw blood on horses. I was the only person with any horse experience so I ended up holding the horse most the night which was okay with me - I’m sure I’ll have plenty of opportunities in the future. It was also kinda fun to help the other students and answer questions about horses and how to handle them. Next quarter I have Lab Animals & Pocket Pets and Imaging (x-rays), both of which should be great. Before that...I have THREE WEEKS OFF! YES! Lordie I’m so excited for that! I love school, but I’m definitely looking forward to a little break!

0 amigos said...: