7.15.2008

Going Electric

Trading sides? Going to the dark side? Hmmm...

I started playing the guitar again a couple months ago and have been going to lessons pretty much every week. I feel like I've definitely improved, but I was still getting really frustrated and discouraged that I wasn't able to play more complex guitar chords. It turns out that my guitar needed work! The action (or the distance between the strings and the fret board) was really high, so essentially I was using all of my finger strength just to push the strings down and not really hold them down. My guitar teacher, Guitar Mat, tried to play and was even having a difficult time - and he's been playing for 17 years!! Anyway, I took my guitar to an awesome little shop called Local Music downtown and the nicest guy ever (Tom) said he could fix it! YAY! On a quick side note, I ended up spending an hour at the shop talking with the owner about interesting guitars and their stories - even if you're not interested in music, Local Music is one of those cool little downtown rarities where you can just go chat and spend some time staring. Anyway, my guitar is still at the shop so I used one of Guitar Mat's electric guitars for my lesson on Monday. It was my first time playing one.

Coolest. Thing. Ever. EVER!

I am a loyal country music fan. There is nothing I love more than a sad, twangy country song with a beautiful acoustic guitar being strummed in the background. I love it! BUT...the electric guitar was AWESOME! I have resisted even looking at an electric guitar because I almost felt like I would be betraying the sound I love so much. I have changed positions, though: I'm going to start saving for an electric guitar & amp. I was amazed at how easy it was to play and how beautiful it sounds. Don't get me wrong...I totally dig rock music and wailing guitars! (Can anyone say, "Def Leppard, 'Rock of Ages'"?!?!) But, I just never figured I myself would play anything other than an acoustic or classical guitar. Anyway, I’m excited! I want an electric bad now! I’m pretty sure if I find one in pink or lavender, I’ll have a freak-out of excitement! :)

3 amigos said...:

Anonymous said...

Rock On!!!

your mudda loves you

Anonymous said...

As you know - Pink is my favorite color.

your mudda

Adam and Sarah said...

SOOO awesome! A Pink or Purple electric guitar would be the ultimate musical instrament (holy crap did I just spell that wrong? it looks sooo strange...)! And hey, if you and Lola want some family pictures done, I'm your girl! Ha! :D